Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bucket List #31

You know those bands that you hear on their album and think that there is no way they can ever be that amazing live?

Freelance Whales is that amazing.


We had arrived at the theatre at 5:30, and after searching 30 minutes for parking (It's LA, I needed parking for over 2 hours where I didn't have to fork out 20 bucks or pay a fine.), the garage building behind the theatre opened up for concert parking. We then got in line and waited.




We finally got in at about 7:45, and went immediately to buy our merchandise.


At 8:30ish, the opening band came on. Some band called Geographer. Wow. That band is talented. I wish I had heard of them before last night, because they were amazing. Made up of 3 men: lead vocals, cellist, and the drummer. I can honestly say I never would have thought that combination so amazing before last night.

In between sets, I had gotten a text from my friend telling me that someone had made a post about Darren Criss being at the concert.  The girl I was with set off in search of him, and I had to lose my spot in the crowd because of the buddy system.  She quickly located Joey Richter, Dylan Saunders, and Brian Rosenthal.

We ended up getting hugs from Joey, smiled at by Brian and Dylan, and I backed into Darren. Whoops!

Then finally, the main act. The band we had all been waiting for. Freelance Whales.

I had seen a live feed of a Freelance Whales concert, and I was astounded at the fact that the audience wasn't really moving around. They were all just standing there. But tonight it all makes sense. It wasn't that they weren't into it. It was that it was just so awe-inspiring, that it literally takes hold of the whole body.

I'm one of those concert go-ers who jump around and dance and scream the lyrics.

I did not do this.

I swayed, I sang, I cried. They were amazing. Phenomenal. Such a group of incredibly talented artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment