Tuesday, October 23, 2012

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...

As I sit here, with my open Word document, watching my laptop battery drain (my phone died hours ago. Sorry Tay, Jenny, Curtis and Maddie!) and waiting for the power and internet to come back on in my house, I listen to my dad and neighbors loudly discuss their Republican ways.
Around 1:30 this afternoon, as I was getting ready to go to an interview for Mimi's Cafe, the power cut out. We've had signs on our street for the past week telling us that anyone who parked in the street would be towed, but not once did anyone mention that the power would go out. Or that the street would be completely blocked by a large crane to fix an electric post.

I live at the top of a cul-de-sac. You know what that means? Only one way out.

The only way which is currently, even after over 5 hours, blocked. By said large crane.

I did what any unsuspecting teenager would do. I called my mother and serenaded her with "Candles".

"The power lines went out, and I am all alone..."

Thankfully she was out and about, so we had one car experiencing freedom while the rest of the street was stuck in limbo. So she parked the car at the bottom of the street, and I hopped in the golf cart, and drove on the sidewalk to get down to where she was. We traded vehicles, and I had to go up to my school to print out the job application, which I had filled out on a pdf document, but had yet to print. No power = No printer. Life, why do you dislike me so?

I got to the school and I ran into a friend who I hadn't seen in a while and who had an hour of free time. Naturally, I made him join me in my quest to the computer lab.

As I type this, I just set off my fire alarm in my room because one of my candles was too smokey. Obviously that candle is no longer in use. I lit a newer one.

Back to the story:

So I made my friend join me in walking to the computer lab, and after we talked for a few minutes, and I left for the interview.

Don't ask me what happened, because I honestly can't remember.

I got back home, parked down the street, and made my dad drive down in the golf cart to pick me up. The hill to my house was not made for heels and a skirt.

Pull up to the house, and the bottom radiator hose in my car was leaking again, so I got to help fix that.

And then the true horror: my phone died.


And because we had no power, I couldn't charge it. So I went on my laptop, Wesley, and read book pdfs which I had saved.

For 5 and a half hours.


I also went outside and listened to the neighbors discuss politics (Read: Obama-bashing). It was liberal-ating.


Get it? Like 'liberating'?


Oh my blog. Even I thought that was horrible.


This is where I stopped for a bit, then continued on at 10:30 pm


My brother got home about 7:30 and his car was parked down the street, so I convinced him to drop me off at Starbucks so I could charge my phone and borrow some internet, but right as we were getting ready to leave, everything cut back on.


Dad let me keep the 5 bucks he gave me for coffee, I left my phone to charge while I got coffee, and now I am helping my sister with a speech on Dr. Suess. While I get paid.


C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment