Thursday, October 18, 2012

My sister just had a melt down.

My mom bribed me with ice cream to help my sister make an outline for homework.

My sister is 10 and she learns slower than some, so I have explain things differently to her. One thing to know, you can't overload her with information. While I need information all at once, then reiterated one at a time, for her, you have to take it one step at a time. Slowly.

She has absolutely no idea what an outline is, so I was taking it one step at a time. I was making her go through the book and make bullet points of all the important information that she needed. My mother decided to intervene once I sent her off.

Hence: the meltdown.

My mother decided to give her all the information at once and it stressed my sister out, so she started crying. Of course, this is my fault because I wasn't "helping".

I finally managed to get my mom to stop talking, and I explained in simple terms what an outline was.  Mom had read her this: "Subdivided topics by a system of numbers and letters, followed by a period". Well of course she was confused. She's 10.

I got mom out the door, I have my sister settled, writing down bullets points with important information, and now I'm going to go get us ice cream so we can eat that while we structure the points into an outline.

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment